Strawberries are scientifically known as Fragaria vesca, the fruit of a perennial plant called fresera, which is currently cultivated in Europe, areas with temperate climates in Asia and some regions of the American continent. Strawberries, besides being a delicious food, have traditionally been used as a medicinal remedy for different dental health problems due to its various properties, such as its astringent action and its excellent antioxidant power.
One of its most popular uses is as a toothpaste, as it has the ability to whiten teeth, in addition to treating other problems of oral hygiene. That is why, in this article, we want to inform you how to whiten teeth with strawberries through simple and inexpensive recipes.
You may also be interested in: How to clean yellow teeth
Properties of strawberries for teeth
Strawberries are a fruit that consists of nutrients such as flavonoids (catechins and quercetin), fiber, tannins, minerals (potassium, selenium, zinc, calcium, copper and magnesium) and vitamins A, B2, B3, B9, C and AND). All this nutritional richness makes the properties of the strawberries for the teeth are the following:
- The strawberries have a compound called malic acid, which contains excellent properties to whiten and clean the teeth.
- This substance, also called Xylitol, is a metabolized polyalcohol that gives this fruit antibacterial properties and that prevents and protects our teeth from harmful microorganisms.
- They also have properties that stimulate the circulation of blood in the gums, which translates into having healthier teeth and protection against possible cavities.
- Its nutritional richness also provides excellent anti-inflammatory properties, ideal for treating other oral problems such as bleeding gums, inflammation and / or sensitivity in the teeth.
- Finally, its source in tannins gives us astringent properties that protect us from tartar, bad breath and the formation of dental caries.
Whitening teeth with baking soda and strawberries
One of the most effective teeth whitening remedies is to make a paste composed of strawberries and baking soda. We use baking soda for this recipe because it is a very powerful natural bleach and also prevents other problems, such as halitosis and bleeding gums.
Ingredients and material
- 1 ripe strawberry
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 toothbrush
- Smash and grind, with the help of a spoon, a ripe strawberry until it is well undone.
- We add half a spoonful of baking soda and mix it, either with a fork or using a blender. We’ll have our toothpaste ready.
- Once the paste is made, we will soak our toothbrush with the mixture. It is advisable to use a soft bristle brush.
- Now brush your teeth with this homemade paste for 2 minutes and rinse your mouth with water.
- Finally, brush your teeth with the toothpaste you use regularly.
This paste of strawberries and baking soda can be used twice a week. In addition, it is recommended that, after brushing the enamel, use a mouthwash for proper oral hygiene.
How to Whiten Your Teeth with Strawberries, White Clay and Mint
In this home toothpaste we will use natural ingredients, ideal for our teeth, such as white clay and mint. On the one hand, the white clay contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that will help us to whiten the dental enamel, in addition to strengthening our gums preventing their bleeding. On the other hand, the mint is used in many recipes for its aromatic properties that will make our mouth give off a very pleasant smell.
- 2 ripe strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white clay
- 2 drops of mint essential oil
Preparation and treatment
- Take two ripe strawberries and trituralas with the aid of a blender. If you have this utensil, take a fork and crush them to form a kind of pasta.
- Add the strawberry paste, two tablespoons of white clay and two drops of mint essential oil. Now mix everything very well and you will have ready your home toothpaste.
- To use it, soak your toothbrush in it and brush for a few minutes. When finished let it act on the denture 1 or 2 minutes and rinse with water.
- Finally, brush the tooth enamel in the usual way. It is recommended that you then use a mouthwash to give your teeth extra cleaning.
This natural remedy should only be used between 1 and 2 times a week.