At around 32 weeks of pregnancy, the head position of the baby is facing the birth canal. Till at this point of time it was quiet easy for the baby to rotate from head up to down position termed as cephalic presentation. The prime reason for it was there was more than enough amount of space in the uterus. In certain cases head down position baby during pregnancy is achieved later and this could be a few minutes before the labour begins. This stage of movement from foetus to cephalic presentation is termed as head engagement.
Now you need to understand why head down baby position is important. The labour is going to be shorter and easier if the baby does this as the head of the baby come out first during delivery.
Vertex presentation is the most common type of cephalic presentation. It is commonly found in the case of singletons. The face of the baby usually faces the tummy and the back towards the spine. It is an ideal position for birth as the head of the baby is lined in such a manner so that it fits into your pelvis in an easy manner. In certain cases, the head of the baby is tilted towards the side. This does not cause a problem. If it is a face presentation, then the face tends to emerge as the leading part and it is pretty rare in occurrence.
How to ensure that your baby achieves the head down position
By week 36, if the baby does not achieve a cephalic position, some steps can be taken to ensure that they achieve the position. It is recommended that you share your plan with your health care professional before you start the process
- First and foremost, change to a helpful sitting position. The pelvis will move forward and this will ensure that the knees are never high above your hips. This is the perfect fetal positioning and it makes possible for the baby to achieve an anterior position with considerable ease
- Get into a comfortable position and then scrub the floor. When you are on all your fours it becomes easy for the baby to change their head position to come in front of your belly.
- Do not sit extended hours at a place and always try to be active. Walking is the best exercise to help the baby turn and be vertex. As walking is known to create movement of the pelvis which helps the mother to turn as the upright stance of the mother provides more space for the baby to turn comfortably.
- When you are sitting in a car using a cushion always so that your knees are under the hips
- When you are sitting in front of a computer or watching TV make it a point that you lean over a birthing ball.
- No need to worry about the fact on getting into an appropriate position when they are sleeping. They will always sleep on the left side.